My First Kiss

Love.

That strange magic everyone always talks about. The kind of magic people actually believe in, rather than magical... magic...

Ahem...

Anyway, I'm not sure if I've ever been in love. However, recently I was discussing my writing habits with a new friend. My mom and my aunt both write romance almost exclusively so I've grown up around romance books. I never thought I'd be any good at it, because I've never been in love. But I've always wanted to try my hand at it. I've always thought I had a romance or two in me, but I just didn't feel qualified to write it,  you know? Well, this friend told me to go for it, so I thought I'd kick myself off by writing about my first love/kiss.

I wouldn't say it was love. We were really good friends. I really liked him. I think I could have grown to love him, given time.

We met the summer following my first official year of college, my second if you count the first unofficial year: Summer 2012. The first time we ever spent time together was on the beach with some friends. A few days later, he added me on Facebook (or maybe it was the other way around, I don't remember) and we started talking. I moved back to Las Vegas, but we texted all that summer and well into the next year.

Fast forward to the following June, and it's his 21st birthday. I decide to fly out to celebrate with him (I told everyone it was to see my cousin graduate from high school, but we all know it was really to see him) and we spend a few days together watching movies and cuddling. He's the first guy I'd ever really been close with. One night we were alone in his apartment, and we were watching a movie and cuddling. The movie ended, I think, and he mentioned something about kissing me.

Inwardly, I was freaking out. I'd never been kissed before, but I thought I was ready for it. I said something about not minding if he kissed me. He waited a few minutes, and I was beginning to think he'd changed his mind and then he quickly leaned in and kissed me. I was frozen. I wasn't sure what to do and then it was over. I went home that night not sure how I felt.

We haven't kissed since then, and we're still good friends (although there were definitely bumps in the road). All in all, I'm glad to have had the experience. That non-relationship taught me that I was never going to be okay with not knowing where I stand with a guy. And although I have been in similar situations since then, I've never not had the courage to ask where we stood and then try moving on when they said they weren't sure or didn't want to commit.

Life is way too short to wait around for some guy to decide he wants to date me.

Those were good days, don't get me wrong. And I definitely don't regret any of it. I learned some powerful life lessons.

So, take it from me, don't settle. And by that, I mean: Don't wait around for some guy to decide you're worth it. Find a man who knows you are worth it and fights for you. How's that for romance?

Love,
Claire

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Premiere

Beyond the Barrier [or] Brick Wall

Update/Snapshot Post